Friday, December 22, 2017

Some new work

I have been taking an online class from Fonda Clark Haight. The class is titled:  The Down Deep- Mining Your Truths on the Creative Journey.  Part of this was very much out of my comfort zone and it is why I took the class.  I was not disappointed. I tried out some new ways of working and that's always a good thing.  The people in the class were an amazing group- lots of deep sharing and so supportive of one another. I still am amazed at how close  I can become with people in an online class- this class was a great way to end the year- had lots to process and this was a great place to do just that.  Here are a few of the pieces from the class- these are all mixed media collages.

I have certain images that I use frequently in my work.  Chairs, houses, doors, windows, birds are part of my visual vocabulary.   2 big symbols for me are houses and chairs- what you see here- the house is a very potent symbol with lots of good and bad feelings associated with it. Chairs for me are are big and the meaning depends on the piece. Chairs can be a place of power- or a place of punishment or a symbol for intimacy- when you pull the chair up close and rejection it is turns away. Of course I had to collage- also used stabillo pencil. I drew the chairs and cut them out of chipboard and placed under the paper and did rubbings over them.
 
On this one I used the house symbol- I also cut out the house swish symbol out of chip board and did a rubbing.  A house  can also be viewed as simply a place where we can express my private and unguarded self.   The house has meaning with memories both good and very challenging- happiness and sorrow.

Each of us carries within us our own ideas and memories of home.

Ravens are very special to me-  I am very fortunate as we have them around our house and I love to hearing them talking to one another.  I have such a deep connection to nature.


 

5 comments:

  1. I find it so rewarding to try out something new. Total success all around with what you did in the class. Thanks for sharing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John- you are always doing that trying something new- have been enjoyinh your sumo series.

      Delete
  2. These are great Terry, I love them all.
    The houses within the bodies is especially touching to me!♥
    So glad you enjoyed the class. Happiest holidays to you & Ron! ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. The houses in the bodies struck me quick & hard, then dissipated to a relaxed state as I remembered I control my house. I'm the boss of me. My word, Terry, this just came up in my life again yesterday! "You're not the boss of me!" crap I'm having with my brother. He's just like my Mom was, where if you ask for help she then feels free to help from then on.

    My brother was one of my care-givers before & after my knee surgery, so a month and a half later he's still calling to check on me asks me if I'm doing my exercises, am I eating enough protein and he stopped being my care-giver 3 wks ago.

    If I borrowed money from my Mom, she took that as her cue to tell me how to use it.

    Your artwork speaks to me because we share similar emotions regarding our birth family (as opposed to art family). You express it very well with your collages.

    ReplyDelete